Overview: What are we talking about?
The Card Account Updater (CAU) service is a new offering from CardConnect, where out-of-date debit/credit card information (card number, expiration date, etc.) is updated to avoid recurring payment interruptions by reducing the frequency of declines. Updates are done behind the scenes with no customer intervention.
This article includes:
Card Account Updater reduces the number of declined or late payments resulting from outdated card information by automatically retrieving the new card details from Visa, Mastercard, and Discover when a new card is issued to your customers.
Card Account Updater is the perfect solution for facilities that offer auto-pay for recurring billing; It reduces the risk of late and declined payments for merchants and helps to prevent service disruptions for customers.
Using Card Account Updater to automatically retrieve new card data can help your business to:
- Stabilize and maintain cashflow by reducing late and declined payments
- Reduce involuntary churn caused by expired cards or new account numbers
- Reduce efforts and costs associated with merchant outreach due to outdated payment information
- Improve customer satisfaction by avoiding interruptions in products and services as a result of nonpayment
How It Works
Card Account Updater is an optional paid feature that you can request to be enabled on your Merchant Account. Once enabled, all of your stored customer payment accounts are monitored on a continual basis to determine if the saved card data has become obsolete.
Some of the most common reasons that cause a customer's card data to become obsolete include:
- A new card is issued due to suspected or confirmed fraud
- A replacement card is issued with an updated expiration date
- The account transitions to a different class or tier of card that requires a change in account number
- When the Card Account Updater service receives updated card information from Visa, Mastercard, or Discover, your stored customer payment information is automatically updated with the new details, and can be used for any individual payments made using Card on File or used for any upcoming scheduled payments that are part of a billing plan.
- Monthly Fee: $20.00
- Per Update Fee: $0.50
How To: Sign Up for CardConnect's Card Account Updater Service
Helpful Hints: Before You Begin
- CardPointe is a CardConnect platform, and these names are often used interchangeably.
- You will need to have a merchant ID before you will be able to access the portal. The first time you log in, you will need to register for an account.
If you have forgotten your password, you can follow the 'Forgot Password?' link on the login page. If you have forgotten your username you will need to contact CardConnect over the phone at (877) 828-0720.
- For more information on how to use the CardPointe portal, you can access their User Guide here.
Using CardConnect's online portal (CardPointe).
Registering and Logging In
If you have not accessed the portal before, you will need to register in order to view your credit card processing details.
From the main CardConnect login page at https://gingr.cardconnect.com/account/login#/login, you will notice a sign up option towards the bottom of the content on the webpage. Click this to get started.
Existing CardConnect Merchant Accounts
- Download the paper Account Updater Agreement from the 'Build Agreements' button on the Account Details
- Send the paper Account Updater Agreement to the merchant to sign
- Attach the agreement to the Account Updater Add-On by clicking the edit button
This will then place the account into the queue for registration processing - registration turn-around time is 7 business days.
New CardConnect Merchant Accounts
Merchants will have the opportunity to sign the account updater agreement during the initial application process.
Will I be charged if a card is expired but no updated card information is able to be retrieved?
A "Per Update Fee" is charged for each credit card that receives updated information from the card brands. If a card is checked for expired information but not updated, this fee will not be applied at the agent or merchant level.
Are all customer credit cards updated when the batch is run?
All cards (not just the default) underneath a customer profile are sent to check for an update. In CardPointe, there is no way to turn off a card from being checked.
How will fees appear on my monthly CardPointe statement?
The monthly and per update fees are line items on the merchant statement that comes directly from CardPointe. The statements show the number of updates that occurred, multiplied by the per update cost.
Where can I view which cards were updated?
You can view card updates in CardPointe, on the Reporting > Card Updates tab. The Updater History table displays detailed information on all card account updates that occurred within the past year. See the CardPointe Web App User's Guide for more information.
Is there a report in Gingr that shows which client profiles were updated?
There is not a report for this information available at this time.