Overview: What are we talking about?
A deposit is a portion of a reservation paid in prior to check in. This payment can then be applied to the reservation upon check out.
This article includes:
- Collecting Deposits
- From the Customer Portal
- Deposit Email
- Refund Deposits
- When is a Deposit Consumed?
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- To turn on/off the ability to manually add a deposit, navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » System-Wide Settings and adjust the Allow Deposit on Any Reservation setting.
- You will not be able to delete a reservation that has a deposit attached that has not been forfeited or refunded.
How to: Use the Deposits feature.
Automatically Required Deposits:
If you have setup required deposits or a specific type of reservation for a specified date range, a prompt will appear to pay the deposit when the new reservation is created from the New Reservation Page.
Left-hand Navigation: Reservations » New Reservation
Manually Attached Deposits:
Deposits can be manually attached to any reservation. To attach a deposit:
- Click on the Create Deposit button on the Estimate.
- You will then be prompted to select the percentage of the total that will be paid with this deposit:
Customer Portal deposit payment page:
If a deposit is unpaid, the following automated communications can optionally be sent to the customer:
To view and edit deposit settings navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » System-Wide Settings.
- New Deposit Email - When a deposit request is created, an email can be automatically sent to the customer, informing them that they must pay a deposit.
- Daily Deposit Email - If a deposit is unpaid, an optional daily email can be sent to remind the customer to pay the deposit.
When a reservation is canceled, it is up to your business to decide how to handle the deposit. It can either be refunded or forfeited.
Refunding a Deposit:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reservations » Deposits » Canceled Reservations Pending Resolution.
- Choose Refund Deposit and confirm your action by clicking OK in the pop up.
When you click OK, a refund will be processed to the original payment method of the deposit. If the deposit was paid with a credit card (and you process cards in Gingr), the customer's credit card will automatically be refunded. This will appear on the Deposits section of the Revenue By Date Report.
Important! There is no email sent to the customer for this action. You may view and print a receipt.
Forfeiting a Deposit:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reservations » Deposits » Cancelled Reservations Pending Resolution.
- Choose Forfeit Deposit and confirm your action by clicking OK.
When you click OK, this deposit will be marked as forfeited, and will be translated to revenue on your Revenue By Date Report.Important! There is no email sent to the customer for this action. You may view and print a receipt.
When is a Deposit Consumed?
A deposit is consumed by being applied automatically at the time of check out. It can only be consumed for the reservation it was paid for. The Paid Amount for the deposit will be automatically added as a credit in the cart and subtracted from the subtotal of the reservation:
On the receipt the consumed deposit looks like this:
Sometimes, the deposit amount paid will be greater than the subtotal of your shopping cart. When that happens, you will be presented with 2 options.
- Credit difference to owner account: Choosing this option will credit the Owner's account for the difference. This will happen once check out is complete.
- Refund entire deposit: Choosing this option will refund the entire deposit to the customer via the original payment method.