Overview: What are we talking about?
Although we backup your database for you multiple times per day, there's no such thing as running "too many" backups. When you backup your database you increase redundancy and decrease potential for data loss in extreme scenarios. The most common scenario for using a database backup is if you want to switch away from Gingr to another software provider. Your new provider would be able to use this backup to import data into your new app for you.
This article includes:
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- Only those with the Can Backup Database and Can Export/Backup Data user permissions can perform these functions.
- Database backups are in SQL format. Specifically, Gingr uses MySQL. If you're not familiar with SQL files, you may need to hire a "tech guy" to open them for you.
How to: Backup your database and files.
Backup Your Database:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Backup Your Database.
- When you click the Backup Your Database link, this will automatically trigger a backup (SQL file), which will download to your computer within a few moments.
Opening Your Database Backup:
Restoring a SQL backup is a fairly complex procedure and is not for the faint of heart. We will outline the general procedure here, but you may need to contact an IT professional for assistance. Please note that our support team is unable to assist with restoring a database backup.
- First, you'll need an SQL Server. The options are: MySQL, MariaDB and Percona. Follow the instructions on their site for installation and configuration on your operating system.
- Once you have an SQL Server installed and running, you'll need an SQL Client to view the database in a friendly format. There are many options, but our favorite for MacOS is Sequel Pro and MySQL Workbench for Windows. Follow the instructions on their site for installation on your operating system.
- Once you have an SQL Client installed an opened, you'll want to use its restore functionality to restore your Gingr database file.
- Once you've restored your Gingr database file into your SQL Server, you'll be able to view all the data from the backup.
How to Backup Your Files:
By files, we mean files that have been uploaded into your app or other files that you may want to reference outside of Gingr. Options are Owner Files, Report Card Files, Company Files, Animal Images, and POS Transaction Signatures. You will be able to choose a date range for these files, so that your backup isn't massive in size. To do this:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Backup Your Files.
This will take you to a confirmation page, where you can see how many unique files that are included in the criteria that you selected on the previous page. To proceed, click Backup Data!
A .zip file will now begin downloading to your computer. This will contain all files. Be patient, this can take a while.