Overview: What are we talking about?
If you are still using an IDTECH - SecuRED USB swiper, you will need to use a tablet to collect signatures for credit card transactions. In this article, we will be covering how to check out a credit card transaction using a tablet for an e-signature.
This article includes:
- Checking Out using the E-Signature page
- Collecting Tips and a Signature
- Card Not Present Transactions
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- Important! The IDTECH - SecuRED USB swiper is no longer supported by Gingr, and we strongly recommend upgrading to a chip-enabled terminal.
- Before you can process transactions, you will need to set up your tablet (only the first time). Click here for instructions on how to set up your tablet.
- There is a setting in your payment processor settings (tips card on file) for whether to ask for tips and signatures with a credit card on file. If tips are off for cards on file, after you select the payment method and click the Check Out button in the panel you see below (screenshot), the transaction will be completed and the customer will not be prompted to tip or sign.
- In those instances when you cannot capture a customer signature, please click the check mark to Capture Without Signature.
Video Tutorial: A helpful tour.
How to: Check out using the e-signature page.
Add items to the cart. On the shopping cart page, select the tablet you will use for the transaction. Your computer will default to use this tablet moving forward, unless you choose another tablet.
Shopping cart on computer:
Cart contents and totals update live on tablet (this is the "e-signature" page)
- Click the Check Out button in the cart on your desktop.
- In the checkout panel, select the Credit Card payment method and you will be presented with credit card entry fields.
- There are 3 ways in which you can take credit card payment depending on what type of terminal you have.
- For those utilizing the old cc swiper (no longer supported). Place your curser in the Credit Card field and swipe the credit card or manually enter the card details.
- For those utilizing the ipp350 or the ISC Touch 250 Terminals, selected your processor
- Or manually enter the credit card by clicking the hand icon and entering the cc info and clicking 'Use This Card':
- A successful swipe will fill in the Credit Card Number field with what would seem to be gibberish. This is good.
- Leave the Card Expiry Date and CVV code fields blank
- Type the 16-digit credit card number into the Credit Card Number field.
- Fill in the Card Expiry Date fields with 2-digit month and 4-digit year.
- The CVV (3-digit security code) field is optional.
- Click the final Check Out button in the check out panel and Gingr will send the card for authorization.
- After clicking the final Check Out button, an Awaiting Signature Capture panel will appear on the computer screen. At the same time, the tablet will update with a tip selection screen.
Your customer selects or enters a tip amount or chooses no tip.
Your customer is then presented with a signature panel on the terminal, signs their name with the stylus, then presses Enter
Your transaction is complete! The customer will be presented with a thank you message (your receipt custom text) on the tablet.
You will be presented with this panel on your computer screen:
- Check out how the receipt has their signature on it... Fancy! No more closets or garages full of receipts!!
Card Not Present Transactions
In those instances when you take a credit card over the phone or when the customer and their credit card is not present, just follow the instructions above for entering a card manually and then:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Point of Sale »View Pending Transactions.
- Find the transaction in the list of Pending Transactions, and click the check mark Capture without Signature button.
- Gingr will verify that you really want to complete the transaction without a signature. Click OK to complete it, or Cancel if you do not wish to continue.
- Once processed, you will see this success message pop up in the lower left of your screen.
Alternatively, you may choose write in CNP or CA on the signature screen in lieu of a signature. To do this, follow the instructions above for entering a card manually.
- When the signature screen comes up, you need to tap into the signature section either with your mouse from the main computer running Gingr, or on the tablet itself for the system to register the transaction. We recommend entering CNP or CA to designate those transactions as Card Not Present or Customer Approved for your records, but the choice is up to you.
- Then click the Complete Transaction button to bring you to the receipt page showing the notes you left that can now be emailed to your customer.