Overview: What are we talking about?
In Gingr, you can easily issue full or partial refunds on retail items, packages, services, tips or store credit. This can be done from the owner's profile or from the completed transactions page.
This article includes:
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- Processing refunds requires that the user permission for Can Process Refunds/Returns be enabled for the user. This can be enabled from Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More Icon » Groups.
- Credit Card refunds: if you use Gingr's integrated credit card processing, the credit card used for payment in the original transaction will be refunded automatically. If you do NOT use Gingr's credit card processing, you will have to refund the customer's credit card through your credit card processor.
- Exchanges and Credit on Account: if the customer wants to be refunded and buy something else, you can choose to refund the money to the Store Credit payment method, which will apply the refunded amount as a credit on their account. That credit can be used later to purchase other items or services.
How to: Process a refund or return.
Refund a Retail Item, Package or Service.
In cases where a pet parent needs a refund on an invoice, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Owner Details page » Invoices tab and locate the invoice that needs to be refunded. Click the Info icon to view the the invoice.
- Select the item(s) you would like to refund by checking the Refund Item checkbox to the left of that item. Once you have selected an item to refund, a Refund Item(s) button will appear at the top of the invoice. Once all items have been selected, click this button to proceed with the refund.
- From the refund details window, you will complete the refund in two steps:
Step 1: Choose the details of the Refund Items.
Here, you will indicate if the item should be Returned to Inventory, enter a Return Reason, and enter the Amount to refund.
Important! The total entered here is pre-tax. If the item being refunded is taxable, Gingr will refund the tax automatically.
Step 2: Select the Payment Method(s) to refund.
Here, you will indicate which of the applied payment methods to place the refund to, and the Amount. Click the Add Refund Method to add more refund payment methods. If you are refunding to more than one payment method, and you wish to refund all of the tax charged to a particular payment method, then select Refund Tax on that payment method. If you do not select anything, then any tax charged will be proportionally refunded across all refund payment methods.
Important! You cannot select to refund to a credit card if a credit card was not originally charged.
4. Once you have confirmed that the totals between Step 1 and Step 2 match, click the Process Refund button to complete the refund.
Refund a Store Credit Purchase.
If a customer purchased store credit and needs to have that credit refunded, then there are a couple of things to be aware of:
- Store credit can only be refunded from an invoice where store credit was purchased.
- You can only refund as much store credit as the customer currently has on their account.
- You cannot refund store credit to a credit card unless a credit card was originally used to purchase the store credit.
- Refunding store credit follows the same process as a normal refund and will remove the refunded store credit from their account.