Overview: What are we talking about?
In Gingr, you can easily issue full or partial refunds on retail items, packages, services, or account credits. This can be done from the owner's profile or from the completed transactions page.
This article includes:
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- Processing returns and refunds requires that the user permission process returns is turned on for the user.
- Credit Card refunds: if you use Gingr's integrated credit card processing, the credit card used for payment in the original transaction will be refunded automatically. If you do NOT use our credit card processing, you will have to refund the customer's credit card through your credit card processor.
- Exchanges and Credit on Account: if the customer wants to be refunded and buy something else, you can choose the No Payment payment method, which will apply the refunded amount as credit on their account. That credit can be used later to purchase other items or services.
Video Tutorial: A helpful tour.
How to: Process a refund or return.
Refund a Retail Item, Package or Service.
- Locate the POS Transaction and click on the POS Transaction button for the transaction containing the items you wish to refund. You can find the transaction from the following places:
From the Owner Profile:
From the Completed Transactions page:
Select the item(s) you would like to refund by ticking the refund items button to the left of that item. Once you have selected an item to refund, a $ Refund Items button will appear at the top of the receipt.
Click $ Refund Items button. The Refund Items pop up will appear.
Enter the Refund Amount you wish to issue to the customer.
Select Return to Inventory if it is a retail item that you would like to re-add to your sellable retail items inventory list.
Select a Refund Reason to keep track of reasons items have been refunded or returned.
Select the Refund Payment Method. The original payment method will be automatically selected. You may choose to refund via a different payment method.
Click Process Refund! button to complete refund. Items can only be refunded once so be sure all information is correct before processing.
Refund an Owner Account Credit
If it was a credit card payment:
If your business took a credit card payment through the Add a Credit button on the customer's profile, and you wish to refund this payment, you must refund through your CardConnect Merchant Center at https://merchantcenter.cardconnect.com, in addition to refunding in Gingr.
These refunds must be done in 2 steps.
- First you must issue the refund in CardConnect
- You must issue the refund in Gingr to update their transaction history on their owner profile.
If it was NOT a credit card payment:
Step 1: Issuing Refund in CardConnect
Login to the Merchant Center: https://merchantcenter.cardconnect.com
- Navigate to the Reporting tab.
- Under the Date tab tab, choose Specific Dates and select the date of the payment you are refunding.
- Copy the CardConnect Transaction ID number from the customer's Transaction history in Gingr.
- Paste it into the Search Columns field in the Merchant Center:
- Click Transaction # for the transaction in the Merchant Center.
...and on the Transaction Details page in the Merchant Center, click the Refund button.
- Modify the refund Amount if it is a partial refund, enter a Refund Reason and click Refund.
Step 2: Issue the Refund in Gingr
This method will edit historical reporting. If you have already run a report for the period of the original transaction, using the below refund method will cause a newer report including the same date to produce different figures. We are working on new ways to take pre-payment in the application, which will make refunds for prepayments and account credits more straightforward.
- Navigate to the Owner's page in Gingr and click the Transactions tab.
- Find the credit line item and click the Pencil Icon in the Edit column.
- Edit the credit amount according to what was refunded. If it was a full refund, make the credit amount $0.00 and change the payment method to No Payment.