Overview: What are we talking about?
This article will describe how to automate your multiple pet discounts for Boarding by setting up pricing rules.
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- Pricing rules are discounts and surcharges that you can set up to automatically apply to a reservation if that reservation meets the condition of that rule.
- For example, if you offer multiple pet discounts for boarding, you can have Gingr automate your pricing discounts depending on how many dogs in a family are there for boarding.
- Note: Pricing rules are extremely flexible. If you have any questions about whether a pricing rule can accommodate a part of your pricing structure, then please reach out to your onboarding specialist. If at any time you are unsure of how to configure a pricing rule, please reach out to your onboarding specialist as well.
How to: Understand the structure of automated pricing rules and multiple pet discounts.
It is important to understand that pricing rules apply equally to every pet in the family that is being checked out. Moreover, pricing rules are set up by entering information into 5 different fields: Label, Type, Value, Method, and Amount. These fields serve the following purposes:
- Label: This is the name of the rule. You will see this on estimates, in the shopping cart, and on receipts.
- Type: This is the type of automated rule that you are setting up. For multiple pet discounts, we will use one or a combination of the following rules (depending on your pricing needs):
Number of Additional Animals
Number of Additional Animals in Same Lodging
Number of Additional Animal Across Reservation Types
- Value: This is a number field which tells Gingr when this rule should apply. For multiple pet discounts, it will be the number of animals in addition to the first animal in the family.
- Method: This determines whether the amount field charges or discounts as a dollar amount or a percentage.
- Amount: This is a field (entered in a 00.00 format) which tells Gingr how much to charge or discount when this pricing rule runs.
Set it Up: Let's get started.
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Pricing Rules.
- Select the location and the boardingreservationtype that you want to create multiple pet discounts for.
- Click Add Rule to create a new discount for each amount of additional pets in a family and configure the rules as follows:
Label: Label the rule as you want it to show on estimates, the shopping cart, and receipts. We recommend labeling this rule for the number of pets that the discount is for (e.g. 2 Pet Discount).
Type: Choose one of the following rule types depending on your pricing structure:
Number of Additional Animals: Choose this if your multiple pet discounts for boarding require that pets be checked in for the same type of reservation and if you do not require that they be in the same run.
Number of Additional Animals in Same Lodging: Choose this if your multiple pet discounts for boarding requires that pets be assigned to the same run for the entirety of their stay.
This is the most common method for boarding.
Number of Additional Animal Across Reservation Types: Choose this if your multiple pet discounts for boarding does not require that pets be checked in for the same reservation type or in the same run.
Value: Enter the total number of dogs in addition to the first dog.
For example, the values are as follows for the following discounts (you will have a rule for each of these discounts that apply):
- For 2 pet discount, Value = 1
- For 3 pet discount, Value = 2
- For 4 pet discount, Value = 3
- For 5 pet discount, Value = 4
Method: Choose dollar if your multiple pet discounts are a certain dollar amount off per pet or choose percent if your multiple pet discounts are a certain percentage off per pet.
Amount: Enter the amount for the discount that should be taken off of each pet’s reservation cost.
If boarding costs $45 per day for a single dog, but for 2 Dogs it costs $80 ($45 for the first dog, and $35 for the second), this is a $10 discount that must be split between both dogs in order to come to the $80 total. When setting up your 2 pet discount, you will input $-5.00 in the value field in order to discount 5 dollars per pet (or 10 dollars total).
- Create a rule for each combination of the total number of pets per family that you offer a discount for (e.g. 2 pets, 3 pets, 4 pets, etc).
- Click Save.
- Repeat these steps for any other boarding reservation types
- If the total discounts are different for different types of reservations, you will need to recalculate the amount you enter into the pricing rules.
For more information on multiple pet discounts, click here.