Overview: What are we talking about?
Custom animal icons are an easy way to see important details about a pet wherever you see their name in Gingr, as well as wherever the icons are configured to display in pop-up alerts. Gingr offers system icons, which are added to an animal automatically under certain conditions such as expired immunizations, unsigned agreements, or the animals' birthday. Additionally, you can set up custom icons, which can be configured to identify anything you can imagine such as Playgroup assignments, Medical conditions, Behavioral issues, Special Discounts, and more!
This article includes:
- Setting Up Animal Icons
- Using Animal Icons
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- Animal Icons are never visible to your customers, so feel free to be creative with them!
- All admin users have access to the admin page controlling these settings. Additionally, admin users are able to delegate this particular admin page to other user groups. Non-admin users with access to this page will be able to make certain edits to this page. For more information see our article on User Groups and Permissions.
Set It Up: Let's get started.
System Animal Icons
Gingr offers several system icons, which will be automatically assigned to animals based on certain conditions. Each system icon listed below can be enabled or disabled depending on your preferences, and can be configured to display in pop-up alerts.
|Displays for an animal if they are unaltered. Displays red if unaltered and past set threshold. Displays blue if unaltered and within the threshold.
|This threshold is set from the Altered by Month setting.
|Displays for an animal if there is a photo on record.
|When clicked, this icon will load an animal’s appointment card.
|Displays for an animal when there is a checked-in reservation. When clicked, this icon will load the animal's reservation belongings.
|Displays for an animal if their birthday is today.
|Check in Questions
|Displays for an animal if there are any check-in questions for their reservation.
|Displays any owner, animal, and reservation form fields tagged to the dashboard.
|Displays any Owner or Animal Employee Notes saved to a pet's profile.
|Expected to Check Out
|Displays for an animal if their reservation scheduled to check out today. Displays yellow if the current time is before the scheduled checkout. Displays red if the current time is after the scheduled checkout.
|First Time Reservation
|Displays for an animal if there is not a checked out reservation on record.
|Displays for an animal if immunizations are expiring or expired. Displays yellow if any immunizations will expire within 30 days. Displays red if any immunizations are already expired.
|If a species does not require any immunizations, this will still show in red for animals without any immunization records in that species.
|Displays for an animal if there is an incident record on file.
|Gingr PreCheck Form
|Displays if a client has filled out a Gingr PreCheck form for their pet's stay.
|Displays any reservation notes associated with an animal's reservation.
These icons can be enabled or disabled by navigating to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Animals » Animal Icons.
To determine whether an icon is used in your app, use the Status toggle. If enabled, the icon will display wherever you see the animals' name in your app if they fall under the conditions of that icon.
You can also optionally customize which system icons show up in Pop-Up Alerts. Pop-Up Alerts will display, if configured, for any of the following events:
Checkout Alert: appears when the animal's reservation is added to the cart.
Checkin Alert: appears when the animal is checked in.
Reservation Creation Alert: appears when the animal's name is entered on the New Reservation and New Appointment page, when performing Quick Check-ins, as well as when managing reservation requests.
Owner Details Alert: appears when you visit the owner's profile.
Animal Details Alert: appears when you visit the animal's profile.
- Reservation Details Alert: appears when you visit the reservation details page for the animal's reservation.
To include a System Icon on a Pop-Up Alert, enable the desired alerts by toggling them into the On position for the desired icon alerts.
Custom Animal Icon Groups
Icon Groups can be used to separate or group icons into types, separate icons between locations, or to simply make it easier for staff to see important icons. Icon groups are not required to configure custom icons, but can be really useful if you have lots of types of icons or use separate icons between locations.
To set up an icon group, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Animals » Animal Icons.
- Scroll down to the Click +Add to create a new icon group.
- Enter the groups' Name and which Location(s) icons of this type are used for.
Once your group(s) are configured, Custom Icons can be created for these groups, and these icons will be sorted into groups in the display when you've added them to an animal.
Custom Animal Icons
In addition to system icons, you are also able to create your own Custom Icons. To create a custom animal icon, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Animals » Animal Icons.
- Scroll down to the Animal Icons section, and click the +Add button.
- Select an Icon from the drop-down menu by typing a keyword from its name and selecting the icon from the list.
Check out the Font Awesome website to see a full list of available icons. Currently Installed Version: v5.13.1.
- Indicate, optionally, which Animal Icon Group this icon should belong to.
- In the Title field, type a name for your icon. (This is the label that will show up when you hover over the icon.)
- Click into the Color field to select any color from the color picker. If you do not select anything, it will default to black.
- Optionally set a Capacity for this icon. This feature allows you to set capacity limits for pets with specific icons assigned to them. This means that, for example, at any given time, you can only have X number of pets with a red flag icon.
- Optionally set this icon to produce any number of Pop-Up Alerts.
Checkout Alert: appears when the pet's reservation is added to the cart
Checkin Alert: appears when the pet is checked in
Reservation Creation Alert: appears when the pet's name is entered in the Pet/s field on the New Reservation and New Appointment page, as well as when actions are selected when managing reservation requests.
Owner Details Alert: appears when you visit the pet's owner's profile
Animal Details Alert: appears when you visit the pet's profile
Reservation Details Alert: appears when you visit the reservation details page for the pet's reservation
- Checkout Alert: appears when the pet's reservation is added to the cart
- Save your icon!
System-Wide Settings & Group Permissions
There are a few icon-related settings that can be managed from Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Animals » Animal Icons.
|Allow bulk icon deletion from pop-up alert
|When enabled, users with permission to delete icons will be able to bulk remove icons from pop-up alerts.
|If disabled, users with permission to delete icons will still be able to remove icons from animals, they just won't be able to do so in bulk via Pop-Up Alerts.
|Altered by month
|Displays the Altered/Unaltered system icon if a pet remains unaltered after this threshold.
|Fontawesome 5 Pro
|If enabled, your app will have access to Fontawesome 5 Pro icons, and you indicate that you have purchased a license for that use.
|To utilize this setting, you can purchase a license directly from Font Awesome (https://fontawesome.com/pro) for $99/year. Pro Versions will still only have access to v5.13.1 icons within Gingr.
Additionally, you can restrict the ability for users to be able to remove icons from owners or animals. To manage this permission, head to Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More Icon » Groups.
|Can Delete Icons
|If enabled, users can remove custom icons from owners or animals.
Lastly, you can set a preference for whether an owner's or animal's icons display in the shopping cart by heading to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Shopping Cart and Point of Sale » Check Out Options.
|Show Custom Icons Cart
|If disabled, you will not see an owner's or animal's assigned icons in the shopping cart.
How to: Using Animal Icons.
Users can assign custom icons to animals from several places in the app, including the Animal Profile details page, Search Results page, Dashboard, and Quick Check-In panel.
To add an icon to an animal, follow these steps:
- Find the Animal's name on any of the pages referenced above.
- Click the light gray + icon, to see the Custom Icons available to add.
Select a custom icon by clicking on it.
- Optionally, type in the Comments field to add a description that will be unique to the selected animal. Please know there is a 250-character limit for the Comments section. This comment will display when you hover over the icon after it's been assigned to the animal.
- Optionally, to create an Employee Note (not visible to customers) with the comment entered for this icon, tick the Create Employee Note checkbox.
- Click the blue + button to add the icon.
Removing an Icon from an Animal
If a custom animal icon no longer is relevant for an animal, you can remove the icon from the animal. To remove an icon from an animal, follow these steps:
- Find the Animal's name on any of the above-mentioned pages.
- Click the light gray + icon next to their assigned icons.
- Icons currently assigned to an animal will show up with a blue highlight. To remove an icon, click on it.
- Click the red Trash Can icon next to the comments field to remove the icon from the pet.
- Click OK on the confirmation.
Icon Pop-Up Alerts are configured at the individual icon level to remind staff of certain icons on an animal when they are doing actions in Gingr with the animal such as creating a reservation, checking in the pet, viewing their profile, etc.
If an icon is set to trigger a Pop-Up Alert, the user will see a pop up that looks something like this:
Using this Pop-Up, the user can read the comments on the icon(s) that were set for that pop up, as well as delete those icons if they are no longer relevant right from the pop-up.
Most System Icons have special actions that can be taken when clicking on the text in the Description on a pop up. These actions include:
|Pop Up Action
|Directs you to the Owner's account.
|Directs you to the Agreements section of the Owner's account.
|Directs you to the animal's Appointment Card.
|Opens the Belongings for the animal's current reservation.
|Directs you to view the animal's Incidents.
|Directs you to the Owner's account.
|Directs you to the Reservation Details page.
Hiding Icons in the Shopping Cart
In case you ever need to show your customer your shopping cart while you are ringing them up, but you don't want them to see the icons that are added to their pet, we've made it easy for you to hide the icons with one click. Before showing your customer your screen, simply click the Hide Custom Icons button in the shopping cart to hide the icons.
FAQ: The more you know.
- Filtering the Dashboard by Icons
- Viewing Animal Icon Counts from the Calendar Details Page
- Hiding Icons from the Shopping Cart
- Animating an Icon
Can I easily tell how many animals with certain icons are currently checked in?
Absolutely! On the Expected, Going Home, Checked In, Unconfirmed, and Requested sections on the Dashboard, you can easily limit the results to show animals with a particular icon. Follow these steps to limit your Dashboard by icon:
- Navigate to the Dashboard, and click to the section you'd like to review.
- On the section, click the Search icon in the upper right of the results to toggle the search to Icon Search.
Click into the dashboard search to pull up the icon dropdown list. Click on the Icon's Name to see a limited list of animals on the Dashboard that have the selected icon assigned to it.
Can I see icon totals (for things like playgroups) from the Facility Calendar so that I can tell how much room I have left?
Yes! You can easily see icon counts on the Facility Calendar by following these steps:
- Navigate to the Facility Calendar » Click any Reservation Type on a Date.
- Click on the Icons tab to view the number of animals with each Icon.
- Filter the list by using the Search icons... field and sort the columns by clicking on the column headers.
I have an icon that I want to make absolutely certain my staff don't miss. What can I do to make it stand out?
If you already have Pop-Up Alerts set for a custom icon, but you'd like to ensure that it sticks out a bit more, you can set it up to spin in place. To set this up, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Animals » Animal Icons. Locate the custom animal icon you'd like to animate and click the Pencil icon to edit.
- Find the technical name for the icon, located in the Icon field. (i.e. fa fa-fighter-jet) and write it down.
- On the Animal Icons admin page, navigate to the Icon Classes page, which is found in the Related Pages section at the top of the page.
Search the Class column for the technical name of the icon that you wrote down in step 2. Locate the proper record, and then click the Edit button.
Append " fa-spin" (without quotes, including the space) to the end of the Class field string. Do not change anything else. (i.e. fa fa-fighter-jet fa-spin)
Click the Save button. Your icon should now be spinning!