This article includes:
- How to: Create a New Subscription Type
- How to: Sell Package Subscriptions
- How to: Renew Package Subscriptions
- How to: Cancel Package Subscriptions
- FAQ: Check this out!
Helpful Hints: Before you begin.
- The amount that a package credit deducts from charges in the cart is directly linked to the Location Default Rate for the associated reservation type. See FAQ for more.
Refunding a package subscription charge does not automatically terminate the subscription enrollment. For more information, please refer to the How to: Cancel Package Subscriptions section below.
How to: Create a New Subscription Type
On the Packages & Subscriptions page, you can create a new package or subscription. A subscription is a package type with the setting Use for Subscriptions enabled. Use the Field Guide below to assist you in setting up your new package.
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Packages & Subscriptions.
- Click +Add to create a new package.
- Fill out the short form using the Field Guide below.
- Click Save.
|Select your location.
|A subscription can only be assigned a single location. However, if the system-wide toggle "Allow packages/subscriptions at any location" is on, the credits can be redeemed at any location.
|This is the name of your package. It is shown to customers on receipts and on the customer portal.
|Optionally enter a description that can be displayed on the customer portal when a customer purchases a package from the customer portal.
|The type of reservation this package applies to.
|Subscriptions can only be associated with a single reservation type. If you wish to redeem credits for multiple reservation types you must enable "Allow packages/subscriptions on any type" from the system-wide settings.
|The number of credits the package should have.
|It is possible to sell 0 credits - this will create a subscription that charges the set price for no credits. The package will show on the customer's expired package list upon renewal.
|Enable as Subscription
|Enable this setting if this package should be available only as an auto-renewing package (Subscription).
For subscription-based packages, determines the frequency of renewal.
For more details, see the Subscription Renewal Schedules: Understand Your Renewal Frequency section below!
|Days to Expiration
Optionally enter the number of days that this package/subscription can be used before it expires. If no data is entered, the package will expire upon auto-renewal of the subscription.
The expiration date solely impacts package credits and doesn't affect subscription renewal.
The package expires at 11:59 pm on the last day of the subscription. Packages cannot be unexpired.
You can edit expiration dates from the packages section on an owner's profile.
Important: If no date is entered into this field, users who cancel their subscriptions will not have an expiration date on their final credits.
|This is the total price for each package (not per credit).
Often times this value is less than the total value of the reservation type's base rate multiplied by the number of credits in order to provide a discount to customers.
The amount of money the credit will take off in the cart is determined by the location default rate for the reservation type associated with the subscription.
|If you apply tax to this sale, select 'yes/on.'
|To charge tax for subscriptions, you must also go to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Tax Settings select to charge tax on packages. See our article on Configuring Tax Settings for more information.
Optionally set the associated account code for the package
|To set up account codes, navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Account Codes. See our article on Revenue Report Account Codes for more information on setting this up.
|Use Pricing Rules on other Reservation Types
|If enabled and the package is applied to a different type of reservation, it will pull the assigned reservation types' pricing rules.
This requires the system-wide setting "Allow packages on any type" to be enabled
|Example: When applying a daycare package credit to a multiple pet boarding reservation with daycare attached, the package credit will apply at a value equal to one day of daycare including any daycare multiple pet discounts.
|Enable this setting if this package type is used for a reservation type set to Charge by Hour.
|Example: 3 credits would be applied for 3 hours of daycare.
|Email days before expiration
|If you want the "Package Expiration Email" to send a number of days before a customer's package's expiration date, enter the number of days here.
|If this field is left blank no reminder email will be sent.
|Email remaining count threshold
|If you want the "Package Expiration Email" to send when a customer gets down to a certain number of credits, enter that number here.
|If this field is left blank no reminder email will be sent.
|Can Purchase Through Customer Portal
Can customers purchase this package from the customer portal?
|The online purchase of packages through the customer portal requires Gingr's integrated credit card processing.
|Kisi Group ID
Gingr's integration with Kisi allows you to control what customers have access to certain areas of your facility.
|For more information on Kisi, click here.
If enabled (Yes/On), it will be available for purchase.
|Subscription types can never be fully deleted. If you no longer use a subscription type it can be disabled instead.
How to: Sell Package Subscriptions
- Charge the card on file for the price of the package
- Generate a receipt
- Add the package to the customer's account
- Send the Invoice Email template
- Send the Subscription Purchase Receipt Email template
To start a subscription:
- Navigating to Left-hand Navigation: Point of Sale » Sell Retail and Packages.
- Clicking the +New Subscription button in the Packages header.
|Step 1: Select an Owner
|Select the owner account to connect the package subscription
|This customer must have a credit card on file in order to start a subscription. You will be re-directed to edit the owner profile if they do not have one on file already.
|Step 2: Select a Subscription
|Only packages with the setting "Use for Subscriptions" enabled will be displayed
|Step 3: Select a Frequency
Select how often this package purchase will renew
|This will default to the selected package's settings.
Enter a future date if the package subscription should not start now.
Leave blank if the subscription should start now.
|Payment will run on the date entered.
|Until this date
Enter a future date for when the package purchase should cease.
Leave Blank To Continue Indefinitely.
How to: Renew Package Subscriptions
Subscriptions renew automatically with payments processed using the saved credit card on the owner's profile at the specified intervals. The corresponding package is then added to the owner's account. The renewal date is determined by the "Starting on" date. If left blank, it defaults to the date of purchase.
If you use multiple credit card processors, charges for subscriptions will go through your preferred processor, as set up under Left-hand Navigation: Admin » Credit Card Processing.
Upon renewal, the system attempts to charge the customer the price of the package at the set interval.
- If successful, a receipt is generated, the Invoice email is sent, and the package is added to their account.
- If the charge fails, the system will retry the charge once per day for 5 days. If the payment still fails, the system will automatically cancel the subscription after the 6th attempt. The Notification "Subscription Failed Payment" will display after the final attempt for users in a Group that are set to have that notification permission.
- If a subscription is automatically canceled you must manually restart the subscription.
Subscription Renewal Schedules: Understand Your Renewal Frequency
- Weekly Subscriptions: These subscriptions renew every 7 days. If you purchase it on a Monday, it will automatically renew at 11:59 pm on the following Sunday, and new credits become available on the following Monday.
- Bi-weekly Subscriptions: These subscriptions renew every 14 days. If you purchase it on a specific day, it will automatically renew at 11:59 pm on the 13th day, and new credits become available on the 14th day.
- Monthly Subscriptions: These subscriptions renew on the same day of the month. If the date doesn't exist in a particular month, then the subscription renews the calendar date before. It returns to the correct date for the next month. For example, if you purchase on the 31st of January, February doesn't have a 31st day, it will renew on the 27th at 11:59 pm. New credits become available for the 28th day. In March, credits will renew on the night of the 30th.
- Annual Subscriptions: These subscriptions renew on the same day of the year. If the date doesn't exist, it defaults to the last existing day. For example, if you purchase on February 29th in a leap year, it renews at 11:59 pm on February 27th, and new credits become available on February 28th.
Seven days before renewal, the Subscription Renewal Reminder Email is sent if enabled for the particular subscription frequency from Left-hand Navigation: Admin » System Email. You cannot disable the Subscription Purchase Receipt nor the Annual Subscription Renewal Reminder Email templates due to regulations surrounding subscription-based purchases.
The Notification "Subscription Failed Payment" will trigger after the final payment attempt for users in a specific group, provided they have the appropriate notification permissions. To enable this, navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reports & More » Groups and turn on the Notification: Subscription Failed Payment permission for the desired user groups.
- This permission can be local to only the location where the package is for or can be global, meaning a notification will display at all locations when a customer's payment fails.
- For more information see our article on App Notifications.
How to: Cancel Package Subscriptions
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reports & More » Reports » Active Subscriptions.
- Find the subscription on the report and click the action dropdown.
- Choose Cancel Subscription from the options.
From the Owner Profile:
- Navigate to the Owner's Profile.
- Find the Subscription you'd like to cancel in the packages section.
- Choose Cancel Subscription from the action menu.
FAQ: Check this out!
How do I find an Owner's subscription history and activity?On the Owner's detail page, see the Subscription section on the left column, mid-way down. Here you will find all active and inactive subscriptions. Click the Actions button to view history or cancel the subscription.
Click View History to see a panel showing the complete history of transactions for this package. There are options to deduct credits, edit the expiration date, view the invoice of the package purchase, and view each invoice associated with the redemption.
The wrong price is showing up in the cart when I use a credit.
The amount that a package credit deducts from charges in the cart is directly linked to the Location Default Rate for the associated reservation type.
Think of package credits as vouchers. It's important to note that no matter the price a customer pays for the credit, it does not alter the service cost during checkout.
For instance, consider the sale of a 10-day daycare pass for $250, making each credit cost $25. However, this pricing structure does not affect the base price of daycare, which remains at $30. Consequently, when you check a customer out for their daycare reservation, the charge will consistently be $30, and the package credit, akin to a voucher, will offset this charge by applying a negative $30, regardless of the specific price paid for each credit.
How can I offer a subscription for individual purchases without auto-renewal?
The "Use For Subscription" setting restricts a package from being sold on an as needed basis. To offer a package for both subscriptions AND as needed, you will need to create two separate packages, one for subscriptions and one for individual purchases.
How can I turn off the Subscription Purchase Receipt / Annual Subscription Renewal Reminder Email?
Due to Mastercard and Visa Subscription policies, you cannot disable the Subscription Purchase Receipt nor the Annual Subscription Renewal Reminder Email templates. Do not remove the instructions on how to contact the facility to cancel the subscription in order to remain compliant.