Overview: What are we talking about?
In Gingr, you'll have access to a personalized notifications page to stay updated on actions performed by pet parents and staff users. The types of notifications that you will receive are customizable, and can include actions like new reservation requests, canceled reservations, waitlist openings, and more!
This article includes:
- Managing How Users Receive Notifications
- Managing Which Notifications Users Receive
- Understanding Global Versus Local Notification Settings
- Using the Notifications Center
Enabling Push Notifications on a Mobile Device
Helpful Hints: Before you begin
Important! Notifications and associated comments will be retained in your app for a limited duration of 14 days. After this period, you can conveniently access and track changes by utilizing the History Page, located in Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More » History, or by referring to any relevant reports.
- What notifications a user receives depends on their group and the permissions that group is configured to have. You can change these notification permissions at any time. You can also create more groups to fine-tune exactly what each user should get. For more information see our article on User Groups and Permissions.
- Marking a notification as read will mark it as read for every user that received this notification. All users will still be able to see the notification in their Read Notifications lists if needed.
- Notifications can be local to only the relevant location where the notification was triggered or can be global, meaning the notification will display at all locations regardless of where it is relevant. For more information see the section below on Understanding Global Versus Local Notification Settings.
How to: Manage How Users Receive Notifications
All users will receive notifications via the in-app Notifications Center, regardless of these preferences. Notifications can also be received by users in three additional ways— via email, SMS, or push notifications on a mobile device through the Gingr Notifications App. These preferences can be managed per user group by following these steps:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More » Groups and click the Notifications tab
- The first section of this tab, Notification Preferences, determines how users of that group receive their notifications
- Check the box relating to the permissions for each user group to indicate who should get what type of notifications. This page auto-saves your input
|Receive Email Notifications
|Enabling this setting will email users of this group when they have unread notifications in Gingr.
|This email will send every ~30 minutes including all notifications that have not been read. This email will go to the address on the users' account in Gingr.
|Receive SMS Notifications
|Enabling this setting will text users of this group when they have unread notifications in Gingr.
|An SMS will be sent for each notification the user receives in Gingr and will be sent to the users' phone number in Gingr.
|Receive Push Notifications
|Enabling this setting will allow the user to receive Push Notifications using the Gingr Notifications application on their mobile phone.
How to: Manage Which Notifications Users Receive
In addition to customizing how notifications are received, you can indicate which types of notifications each user group receives. These preferences can be managed by following these steps:
- Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More » Groups and click the Notifications tab
- Each Notification permission listed on this page controls if notifications of this type will be triggered for each user group
- Check the box relating to the permissions for each user group to indicate a preference. This page auto-saves your input.
|New Customer Registration
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a new customer completes the registration form online.
|Customer Updated Record
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer has updated their record.
|New Online Retail Order Received
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when an online retail order is received.
Click here for more information on this feature.
|Employees & Schedules
|New Appointment Scheduled for Me
|If enabled, the specialist users in this group will be notified when an appointment is made for them.
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a schedule is published
|New Events/ Notices
If enabled, users who have been tagged in the notice and who are involved in the comment thread will receive in-app notifications when new comments are left.
Each person you tag will see this notice on their dashboard. Note that the notice will be visible to everybody on the Facility Calendar.
Check out our article Using Notices and Events for more information!
Files & Records
|New Owner Uploaded File
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer uploads a file on the customer side of the app.
|New Email File
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when an email is received. Clicking on the notification will direct the user to the Owner Files Report where the attachment that was delivered can be managed.
New Email File is a system-wide notification by default, and notifications of this type will be received at each location in a multi-location app. Users marking this notification type as 'read' will mark it as read for all users system-wide.
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when emails to customers are bounced (not deliverable).
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when an incoming SMS has been received.
This permission only applies if your application uses the Two Way SMS integration.
Owners & Pets
|New Incident Report
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified in Gingr when an Incident Report is created.
|Negative Survey Feedback
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer leaves feedback on a survey that is below the threshold set.
|New Lead Received
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a lead form is submitted or when the Contact Us page on the Customer Portal is filled out by an existing customer.
Click here for more information on this feature.
If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer has arrived at the facility.
This notification is triggered when a pet parent selects the "I'm Here" button on a Gingr PreCheck form, or replies to a text message from your facility with "HERE".
To get the most out of this feature, try editing SMS templates like the Ready for Pickup SMS template to include information for your customers about “...reply with HERE when you're here and we will come to meet you outside.”
|Packages & Subscriptions
|Subscription Failed Payment
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a payment on a package subscription fails and when a subscription is cancelled.
This permission only applies to apps that use integrated CC processing and package subscriptions.
Reservations & Appointments
|Reservation Request Blocked for Expired Immunizations
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified if a customer tries to make a reservation request online, but is denied, due to having expired or missing immunization records.
|Staff will only receive this notification if the Admin » System-Wide Setting for "Require valid immunization records before customers can request reservations." is enabled
|New Reservation Request
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer submits a reservation or appointment request.
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when another user cancels a reservation.
|Undo Check In
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when another users performs an undo check-in on a reservation.
|Deposit Request Email Sent
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer is sent an email asking them to pay their deposit.
|Reservation Added to Wait List
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer is added to the wait list.
|Opening for Wait List
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a reservation is cancelled and there is a wait listed reservation for the same dates.
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a reservation is deleted.
|Service Pending Scheduling
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a service is added to a reservation without a scheduled date/time.
|Group Class Enrollment Request
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when a customer requests enrollment in a group class.
|Gingr PreCheck Form Edited
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when the PreCheck form is edited by the customer.
|You can click on this notification and see the edits that were made. Any edits will have a yellow highlight next to it.
|Gingr PreCheck Form Submitted
|If enabled, the users in this group will be notified when the PreCheck form is submitted by the customer.
If enabled and the user is a specialist, they will be notified when an appointment is rescheduled.
How to: Understand Global Versus Local Notification Settings
Each notification can be toggled to be either local to the single location where the action took place or global, which means the notification will display at all locations. Simply click the "Is Global" toggle to change the setting for each notification type.
If local (toggle is off): the notification will only show at the location where the action took place. For example, if Notification: New Incident Report is set to local only the location where the incident was reported will get the notification. If Notification: Customer Updated Record is local only, then only the location where the owner has their home location set will get the notification.
If global (toggle is on): the notification will show at all locations in the app, regardless of where the action was taken place. For example, if Notification: Opening For Wait List is set to global then all locations will be alerted of an opening on the wait list at any given facility. If Notification: New Owner Uploaded File is global then all locations will get a notification when any owner submits a file, regardless of the owner's home location.
How to: Use the Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is your hub for all notifications—here, you'll have an action on each notification to handle the information the notification presents, as well as the ability to communicate with other staff users that received that notification.
This section will cover:
- How to Access the Notifications Center
- How to View Notifications
- How to Mark Notifications as Read
- How to Comment on Notifications
Step 1: How to Access the Notifications Center
On any page of the application, you can access the Notifications Center from Top Navigation: Bell Icon.
This icon will highlight to indicate that there are unread notifications. Click the Bell Icon to display your Notifications Center.
Step 2: How to View Notifications
After clicking on the Bell Icon to pull open the Notifications Center, you'll be presented with your notifications.
The left-hand side of this page will organize notifications by their type, separating read notifications from those that are unread. Read notifications will be hidden by default, but can be viewed by clicking Show Read Notifications.
When a notification is clicked on, it will display in the view on the right-hand side of the page to provide more details. Here, you'll be given the opportunity to act on the notification—the Quick Action will be different for each notification type. For example, the Notification for a New Reservation Request will allow you to view the reservation in the Requested section on the Dashboard.
Step 3: How to Mark Notifications as Read
To mark a Notification as read, click the Check-Mark Icon on the upper right side of the notification's details view.
Additionally, clicking on the Quick Action for a notification will mark the notification as read for all users that received that notification.
Both of these actions will leave a Comment on the notification to let other users know who has marked the notification as read.
Important: Marking a notification as read will mark it as read for every user that received this notification. All users will still be able to see the notification in their Read Notifications lists if needed.
Step 4: How to Comment on Notifications
On each notification, you will also have the opportunity to collaborate with other staff users by leaving a Comment on the notification. Notification comments can be viewed by all users that received the notification and is a great way to provide further detail about an action.
How to: Enable Push Notifications on a Mobile Device
Gingr offers a mobile application that will allow users to receive Push Notifications on a mobile device. These notifications come in real-time and are pushed directly to your phone for quick updates.
To use this feature, your user group must have the Receive Push Notifications Permission enabled from Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More Icon » Groups.
To use the Notifications app, follow these steps:
- On your mobile device, open the App Store (Mac) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Search for Gingr Notifications and download the application to your device.
- Once the download is complete, open the application. You'll be prompted to enter your login information. Your Subdomain is your business name as it appears in your Gingr URL. E.g. If you Gingr URL is "http://happywags.gingrapp.com", your subdomain is "happywags". Then, enter the email address and password you use to log into your regular Gingr application.
- Upon login, you'll receive a pop up asking if you want to receive Push notifications from this application on your device. Click Yes on that pop up to proceed.
- Once logged in, you'll see a list of your unread notifications, and you'll some actions available to you:
- Clicking on a notification will open the corresponding item in Gingr on your device.
- Checking the box next to an unread notification will mark it as read.
- You can click the Show Read Notifications button to view past notifications.
- Lastly, you can mark all notifications as read in bulk by clicking the Clear All button.
- When a new notification comes in, you'll also see it on your phone's lock screen: