Overview: What are we talking about?
Gingr Payments powered by Stripe is a payment processing solution that has a credit card terminal that fully syncs to Gingr for customers in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. This article will review how to set up your Stripe Credit Card Terminal (WisePOS E) to Gingr Payments.
***Note*** The Wise POS E by default is used with wi-fi connections. However, there is a dock you can purchase separately that allows for an ethernet connection. See the FAQ below for where to order this.
- Gingr Payments Overview
- How to Sign Up for Gingr Payments
- How to Order a Stripe Credit Card Terminal for Gingr Payments
- Gingr Payments Dashboard
- Configuring Gingr Payments and Accepting Payment
How to: Setup your WisePOS E
1. When you first receive the device, install the battery. With the back of the device facing you, lift up from the indentation at the bottom left corner to detach the back cover. Insert the battery by sliding it into the exposed slot with the gold connectors at the top aligned.
2. Once the battery is in place, charge the reader. Connect the reader to power by plugging the provided cable into the port with the lightning bolt symbol.
3. Once charged, hold down the power button on the right hand side until the screen turns on. (Once the device is powered on, pressing the power button once will sleep and wake the device. To fully power off the device hold down the power button until the power off option is shown on the screen, then select it.)
*Even when it’s not in use, leave the BBPOS WisePOS E plugged in and powered on to receive automatic software updates.
4. To open the settings menu swipe right from the left edge of the reader screen to reveal a settings button. Tap the settings button and enter the admin PIN
5. Here you will want to connect the terminal to your business WiFi. *If you rather not connect to your business WiFi, you can also choose to directly attach your connector cable to an ethernet cable and to your router. If you choose this method, use the port on the connecter cable labeled ETH.
- If you are setting up a new device, follow the on-screen prompts to connect to the internet using WiFi. If you need to start over for any reason, press the red X button on the keypad. To enter your network's password, use the multi-tap functionality on the terminal's keypad.
- If you are switching networks, or connecting an already online terminal to a WiFi network, press 0WIFI (0-9-4-3-4) on the keypad and follow the prompts. To enter your network's password, use the multi-tap functionality on the terminal's keypad.
*Please note: Your WiFi network must use WPA-Personal or WPA2-Personal encryption and be password protected. WiFi is not supported for non-password-protected networks or enterprise networks. If your WiFi network is not supported, you will need to either change your Wifi Security Protocol, or directly link your connector cable to an ethernet cable and to your router. See the FAQ at the bottom of this article for more information.
6. Once your terminal is powered on and you are connected to the internet, you can connect your terminal to your Gingr app. Navigate to Book Icon » Reports » Gingr Payments Dashboard. Alternatively, you can also provision terminals from Admin » Credit Card Processing » Gingr Payments Terminals » + Add Terminal.
7. On the left side, select Card Readers and then click the blue Add Terminal button.
8. Once you click the Add Terminal button, you will be prompted to provide a Registration Code and Label.
- Registration Code: This three-word-code can be found on your Stripe terminal screen when you first turn the device on. If for some reason you do not see a code, simply key in 07139 on the terminal settings menu to have a new code generated for you.
- Label: This will be the name of the device as it appears in Gingr.
Once you have entered your Registration Code and Label, click the blue Add Terminal button.
9. Tips can be accepted directly from the WisePOS E terminal in the US, UK, and CA. Tipping functionality is disabled by default, so to enable the feature you will need to select a tips option from the Tips Setting dropdown. This is located within the Gingr Payments Dashboard at Book Icon » Reports » Gingr Payments Dashboard » Card Readers.
You have the ability to prompt for different tip amounts on the terminal at checkout:
- No Tips: Clients will not be prompted for a tip when making a payment.
Fixed Amount: The terminal will prompt the client to select 1 of 3 fixed tip amounts. Ex. $5, $10, and $15. The tip amounts can be configured by the business after selecting this option.
Percentage: The terminal will prompt the user to select 1 of 3 tip percentages. Ex. 10%, 15%, 20%. The tip percentages can be configured by the business after selecting this option.
Fixed Amount (when below threshold) or Percentage: The terminal will prompt for the fixed amounts below a set value, and a percentage once the threshold has been met. Ex. If the transaction is under $20, the user will be prompted for $5, $10, $15. If the transaction is greater than $20 the user will be prompted for 10%, 15%, 20%. The fixed amounts, percentages, and threshold will be set by the business after selecting this option.
In addition to the tips settings that are defined above, pet parents will also see a 'Custom' tip option which will allow them to enter in their own custom tip amount.
The terminal may take several minutes to update and display the tipping options. If for any reason the tipping options are not appearing after 24 hours, please contact our support team.
Once configured, when sending a transaction to the Wise POS E terminal, the pet parent will be prompted for a tip.
How to: Add Gingr Payments as a Payment Method
If you haven't already, you will need to add Gingr Payments as a payment method. To do this, navigate to Admin » Payment Methods.
- If you were previously with CardConnect, you will need to create a new payment method by clicking on the blue button:
Turn the status of your previous Card Connect payment method to OFF.
- If you are a new customer setting up Gingr Payments, you can edit the Credit Card Payment Method instead of creating a new one by clicking on the pencil icon:
- Fill out the applicable fields. For the Type, you can call this "Credit Card", "Gingr Payments", etc. Assign Gingr Payments under Processor. Toggle the Status to ON, and hit Save.
Now your Stripe credit card terminal (WisePOS E) is connected to Gingr Payments and ready for use!
If you run into any issues setting up your Stripe credit card terminal, please contact our Support Team to assist with troubleshooting at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to: Update the Splash Screen for the WisePOS E
Our Support Team can update the splash screen on the terminal for you! You can submit a ticket to our Support Team with the image that you would like your splash screen to be. Please see this article for all of the ways on how to contact Support.
JPG and PNG images must be less than 2MB. GIF images must be less than 4 MB. Each reader has a specific display resolution and you must crop your JPG or PNG image to fit those dimensions. GIF images scale automatically.
The display resolution chat is below:
How do I Restart my Wise POS?
Press and hold the power button for 6 seconds to restart the device.
How can I connect my terminal to ethernet or keep it on the countertop?
Connecting to the internet via ethernet requires a dock which is purchased separately. This dock also allows the terminal to stay connected to power continuously. Additionally, the dock has rubberized feet to allow for stable countertop usage.
Please contact Gingr Support at email@example.com if you would like to order a dock, as it is not currently available within the Gingr app. Please also include the desired shipping address. After you reach out to place the order we will send you an invoice. After the invoice is paid the dock will be shipped to you for an added shipping charge.
The dock can also be purchased from an outside vendor if desired. Please ensure the model is compatible with the Wise POS E.
What do I do if the terminal is unable to connect to the internet?
To check connectivity, go to settings, then select WiFi settings. This displays all available WiFi networks. To see more details about the connection, tap on the connected network name.
- Make sure the network is connected and has internet access.
- The signal strength is good.
- The device has an IP address assigned.
- The subnet matches the one that your application is connected to.
If connected via ethernet chord, you must connect both cables before inserting the reader into the dock. Remove the terminal and re-insert into the dock.
How do I know what security protocol my WiFi uses?
How to Check Your Wi-Fi Security Type in macOS
- Hold down the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon in the toolbar to display all network details, including the WiFi Security Protocol.
- In the task bar, click on the WiFi icon and select “Properties.” Look for the WiFi details, and under Security Type it should display which WiFi Security Protocol your network uses.
How can I change the security protocol my WiFi uses?
- On your computer or mobile device, open your web browser.
- Login to the Admin console of your router. Refer to the Router Manual for details on how to do this for your specific equipment.
- In the address bar of your browser, type in the Router IP Address provided from your router’s instructions.
- Under the Wireless > Security menu, you should be able to view and edit your security protocol to WPA-Personal or WPA2.
- Create a secure password using a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Select Save or Apply. You may need to restart your router for the updates to apply.
- Reconnect all of your devices to your WiFi network.
What do I do if the terminal is "stuck" on the initial 'Stripe' screen?
If your terminal is just showing the initial 'Stripe' screen and you can't access any settings, you can swipe from left to right on the terminal screen, which will reveal the settings menu.
From there enter the admin code (07139).
Then select network from the menu to set up the WiFi network settings.