Overview: What are we talking about?
This article will describe how to void items on invoices after checkout and the effects of voiding. This feature allows users to adjust invoices for financial reporting purposes by removing items due to an error during checkout. Voiding items can be done directly from the invoice and all voided items can be viewed in the Voided Items Report.
This article includes:
- Helpful Hints: Before you begin
- Video Overview: Using the Voids Feature
- Set it Up: Let's get started
- How to: Void an Item
- Effects of Voids: What happens after voiding an item
- Other Voids: Removing an applied package credit or coupon
- Reporting: Generating the Voided Items Report
- Re-creating a Corrected Reservation
FAQ: Common Questions
Helpful Hints: Before you begin
- Important! It is not possible to undo voids. If a void occurs by accident or was processed incorrectly, the invoice will need to be re-created from scratch to include a new version of the items that were voided. Gingr Support cannot edit voided items.
Processing voids requires that the group permission for Can Process Voids be enabled for the user. This can be enabled from Left-hand Navigation: Reports and More Icon » Groups. This permission is disabled for all user groups by default.
- If the invoice had payment and an item is voided, the invoice will become overpaid. The system will prompt you to refund the payment to ensure the charges and payments on the invoice are net zero.
- Refunding and voiding are very similar for invoices where a customer has made a payment. If you wish to maintain a record of the item purchase and payment refund, it is recommended to refund the item instead of voiding it. You can learn more about refunds here: Refunds and Returns. If the invoice has not been paid, a void would be applicable to help close out the invoice. See the FAQ section below for some examples on when to use the voids feature.
- Void reasons will be stored and displayed on the invoice in an audit trail (similar to checking out with “no payment”). Users can also access the Voided Items Report to review voided details to provide more context.
Video Overview: Using the Voids Feature
Set it Up: Let's get started
Navigate to Left-hand Navigation: Reports & More » Groups.
- Next to the permission Can Process Voids, select the user groups that should be able to access this feature.
- Once this setting is enabled for your user group, the option to void any item from an invoice will display when you check the box next to the item in question. You will also see the option to remove package credits and coupons off items where these modifiers have been applied.
How to: Void an Item
In cases where an item or items on an invoice need to be voided, follow these steps:
Navigate to the Owner Details page » Invoices tab and locate the invoice that needs to be voided. Click the blue Info icon to view the invoice.
Select the item(s) you would like to void by selecting the checkbox to the left of that item. Once you have selected the item, a Refund Item(s) and Void Item(s) button will appear on the top right of the invoice. Once all items have been selected, click the Void Items button to proceed.
- From the Void details window, enter a reason for the void and select Void Item(s):
- If payment has been made on the invoice, the system will prompt you to refund the payment. You can indicate which payment methods to place the refund to and the refund amount. Click the Refund Payments button to complete the refund. This can also be done later from the invoice Payments section if needed.
If all items on the invoice have been voided, the invoice status will display as Voided and will show all items on the invoice have been voided. Items will show the void reason provided in light grey text at the bottom of the Charges section. Any fully voided invoice will not show on the Customer Portal.
- If only some items on the invoice have been voided, they will display in light grey text at the bottom of the Charges section. The invoice will either show as Open or Closed depending on how the payment was handled. Partially voided invoices are still visible in the Customer Portal.
Effects of Voids: What happens after voiding an item
When an item is voided, this action will have various consequences throughout the app. This section will review the effects of voiding various items from an invoice.
Voiding a Reservation
Voiding a reservation will void the reservation and also void its associated services and service add-ons.
- If a package credit was applied to the reservation, the package will be incremented by the quantity redeemed against the voided item
- If a coupon was applied to the reservation, that applied coupon will be removed
- If services are associated with the reservation, all services and service add-ons will be removed
- If there is a deposit associated with the reservation, the deposit will be removed, but the payment will still be present on the invoice to be managed
- The reservation will display as Voided on the owner or animal profile » Reservations tab
Voiding a Service
Voiding a service will void the service from the invoice.
- If a package credit was applied to the service, the package will be incremented by the quantity redeemed against the voided item
- If a coupon was applied to the service, that applied coupon will be removed
- If the service has add-ons, all add-ons will be voided
- The service will be removed from the reservation and no longer show on the reservation details page
- If the service had any commission associated with it, the service and/or associated commission will no longer display on the Commission Report
Voiding a Service Add-On
Voiding an individual service add-on will remove just the service add-on.
- If a coupon was applied to the service add-on, that coupon will be removed
- If the service add-on had any associated commission (i.e. “include in commission” setting is enabled for this service add-on), it will not be included in the Commission Report
- Voiding an individual service add-on does not void the related additional service
Voiding a Retail Item or Open Line Item
Voiding a retail or open line item will remove the item charge from the invoice
- This will also increment the stock by the quantity voided if the item was a retail item
Voiding a Package
Voiding a package sale on an invoice can only be completed if the package has the full amount of credits.
- Partially used packages cannot be voided
- This will remove all package credits on that package from the owner's account
- The package will be moved to the Expired / Used section of the owner profile
- Voiding a package subscription charge will NOT cancel the subscription; the subscription should be cancelled from the Active Subscriptions report
Voiding Store Credit
If the user voids a store credit addition, we will remove the store credit from the account.
- Store credit will be removed from the account in the amount voided
- The Store Credit history on the owner profile will show a row for this and Credit Voided as the action
Other Voids: Removing an applied package credit or coupon
In addition to voiding charges off the invoice, the Can Process Voids permission allows users to void applied package credits and coupons from items on the invoice.
Voiding Applied Package Credits
Users can remove a package credit from an item and this will update the credit amount for the package on the owner's account. Voiding a package credit will increment the credit back to the package that the credit was originally redeemed.
Users will be able to remove a coupon from any line item on an invoice.
- User can only remove one coupon at a time if multiple coupons were applied to an item
- Removing a coupon will update the cost of the item that the coupon was applied to
- If the coupon was a “once per owner” coupon, the coupon can be used by the owner again
- If the coupon was a “reusable” coupon, the coupon can be used by anyone after the void
Reporting: Generating the Voided Items Report
The Voided Items report will show you the complete breakdown of all voided items and the reason for the void.
1. Navigate to Left-Navigation: Reports & More » Reports » Voided Items.
2. Enter the desired date range for item void date.
3. Click the Generate Report button.
How to: Re-create a Corrected Reservation
If the reservation still happened and you voided simply to correct a mistake, it is possible to create a backdated reservation.
These are the steps to create a completed reservation:
Create a new reservation with today as the start date. Or, if there is already a reservation, edit the Reservation in question by clicking the button to the left of the entry and selecting Edit Reservation
Make the Start Date to the Current Date and Save Changes
Navigate to the Dashboard and you should now see the pet in your Expected tab
Check In the pet
Once the pet is checked in, you can Edit the Reservation and change the Start Date backward to the date and time the reservation should actually have been
Make sure any Additional Services, Appointments, and other charges are accurate
Add the pet to the shopping cart
Click the down arrow next to the Reservation line item to expand the details of the Reservation
Click the pencil icon and edit the end date to the proper date and time
Check out with or without payment
Now you have a Reservation starting and ending on the correct dates and the charges will be in the system
Here is a recording of this process:
FAQ: Common Questions.
Q: Can I void an item that I already refunded by accident?
A: No, if an item has already been refunded, it is not possible to void that item.
Q: If we use Loyalty Reward points, what happens if we void an item that earned the owner reward points?
A: If a charge added loyalty rewards points to the customer's account, those points will be removed if the item is voided. If the owner doesn’t have enough points, their account will not go negative, it will simply deduct to 0.
Q: How does voiding affect sales tax?
A: When voiding an item that has a tax liability, we remove the tax owed for that item from the invoice and financial reporting.
Q: When should I do a void versus issue a refund?
A: Refunding and voiding are very similar for invoices where a customer has made a payment. If you wish to maintain a record of the item purchase and payment refund, it is recommended to refund the item instead of voiding it. You can learn more about refunds here: Refunds and Returns. If the invoice has not been paid, a void would be applicable to help close out the invoice. Here are a few example use-cases where a void would apply:
- The wrong dog is checked out and the customer didn't pay. In this case the invoice can be voided to remove it from showing to the customer or requiring payment.
- A customer was checked out for the wrong package, such as a full day package when they should have received a half day package, and no payment was made. Voiding the invoice in this case will remove the incorrect package from the account seamlessly.
- A package credit should have been applied at checkout but was missed, and you need to retroactively zero out the invoice and manually deduct a credit. The voids feature will allow you to close out the invoice without payment for the reservation, and then manually deduct one credit.